The state passed SB 91, a program to designate $2.6 billion in federal aid to qualifying residential landlords and tenants to pay unpaid rental that was accrued between April 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021.
The state of California has passed legislation (Senate Bill 91) that established a program to distribute $2.6 billion in federal aid to qualifying residential landlords and tenants to pay unpaid rent that the tenants accrued between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021. IMPORTANT: These funds are only available for residential landlords as there is not (currently) an assistance program for commercial landlords.
- To qualify for the federal funds, the unpaid rent must be owed by a tenant who earned less than 80% of the area median income in 2020 or at the time of application, with the State prioritizing funds for lower-income tenants (those earning up to 50% of AMI).
- Landlords with eligible tenants can apply to get reimbursed for 80 percent of a tenant’s unpaid rent between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021 if they agree to forgive the remaining 20 percent.
- Tenants may also apply on their own if their landlord does not participate. Those meeting eligibility requirements can receive 25 percent of unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021. This is the amount tenants must pay before June 30 to avoid eviction under the state’s COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act (SB 91).